Tips for Attendees - Email #1
The AOTA 92nd Annual Conference & Expo is just around the corner! Here are some helpful notices and instructions that can help you be prepared when you arrive in Indianapolis. Plus, look for a final email update from us next week!
Thanks for attending Conference. See you in Indianapolis!
- Please go to Already Registered? on the AOTA Web site to:
- Download available Speaker handouts (not all speakers provide handouts). For instructions on how to download handouts, view the informative video on the Web. Check back frequently for more handouts as they are uploaded daily.
- Learn how to build your Conference itinerary online.
- View Session changes and cancellations by speakers.
- Review the online copy of the Conference Program Guide. You will receive a printed copy onsite in Indianapolis.
- Plan to pick up your Conference Program Guide, Conference tote, and badge holder early at the Registration Area, which is located in the WABASH lobby on the main level of the Indiana Convention Center. Be sure to bring the tickets that were mailed to you. Registration opens at 10:00 on Wednesday, 7:00 am on Thursday, and 7:30 am on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
- The Indiana Convention Center is located in the heart of Indianapolis at 100 S. Capitol Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46225. Click here for driving directions and parking.
- Please bring a pad of paper so you can take notes during sessions. A pen will be provided in your Conference tote.
- Get your Conference experience off to a good start by joining the Special Interest Section (SIS) leadership at the SIS Networking Reception on Wednesday, April 25, from 7:30 pm–9:00 pm in the JW Marriott Grand Ballroom 5. The reception is free and open to all attendees.
- Follow AOTAEvents on Twitter at Conference to be part of the exciting conversations! When you tweet, be sure to use Conference hashtag #AOTA12.
- Do you have questions about Indianapolis? If so, have them answered here.
- SIS Roundtable Tickets are free and included with Conference registration. Pick them up in advance at the Information Booth in the Registration Area on Thursday from 12:00 pm–4:00 pm and Friday from 7:30 am–11:30 am. Tickets are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Cognition Workshops will be presented in connection with AOTA's forthcoming official statement on cognition and cognitive rehabilitation. Workshops WS200 and WS208, both on Friday, April 27, will explore the theory and applications of occupational therapy for cognitive rehabilitation and how these approaches may be applied to specific populations.
- RA Ad Hoc Committee Needs Your Help! The Consumer Utilization Ad-Hoc Committee of the Representative Assembly has been charged to examine the utilization of consumers of OT services in the operations and functions of AOTA and to develop recommendations for effectively recruiting and using consumer input in association activities.
To this end, the RA committee is interested in gaining insight from members of the Association that have disabilities, have been direct consumers of OT services, are defined as people "living with disability who have received OT services," and/or are family members of individuals who have used OT services (e.g. the parent of a child with special needs or an adult child whose parents receive[d] OT services as a result of a CVA, psychosocial stressors, Alzheimer's, TBI, etc).
An important area the RA is interested in is an understanding of your perspective on how the Association can fulfill the mission to best serve the occupational needs of individuals, their family members or supports, and society. We imagine that there are several roles and functions that consumers may take in enhancing the work of the association, and one of the RA's first actions will be to create these recommendations.
The RA Ad Hoc Committee is hosting a small focus group meeting at Conference on Friday April 27, 2012 from 12:30 pm–1:30 pm at the JW Marriott Indianapolis, Rooms 201-202. A box lunch will be served. If you are interested in participating in this group, please contact Varsha Stein at firstname.lastname@example.org. The first 20 Conference attendees that respond and meet the criteria above will be included.